Monday, May 30, 2011

Out with Carrie from Wind River Tails and Trails

OK folks, I am trying hard to stay on top of my blogging. I'm falling behind, as I think I have 3 blogs in the process, and aren't getting any of them finished :( Mom is TIRED! I think I used every bit of energy in Florida last week. It is all I can do to not turn this laptop off until I get 1 blog finished. I really can't believe how exhausted I am now, and last week I was so full of pep at my retreat. I should probably make my unfinished retreat blog much shorter, so it gets posted and then I will feel as if I've accomplished something.
  So Saturday was dog training day. I chose to stay home for a dog training session, instead of going to memorial services for a friend who passed from pancreatic cancer 2 weeks past. I just didn't have it in me this time for the circumstances that I would be going there under. Plus, Hope's training is so uber important. I have her scheduled for 3 sessions, as Carrie is a very busy lady. This is where I cross my fingers that the money will be there for Hope's training. I did not want to schedule training sessions that I do not have the money for. Waiting for the money to schedule is putting us too far out of whack in scheduling. Maybe this is the part where I need to practice having more faith that things will be alright. If I don't have the money on hand when I need to schedule something, things have the tendency to get put on the back burner. I can't do that with this. It is too important.
 Here is Carrie Hunt with Wind River Tails & Trails spending a few moments with the whole crew. JD the rottie, Justice the yellow lab, and Hope the pit bull. They LOVE Carrie and you know she always has lots of yummy treats!

 OH what good dogs they are, all lined up for Carrie! They are practicing their best manners.
Then it was Hope time, and of course I packed the camera, but took no pictures. Mom was a little bit tense, as she is very unsure of other dogs and Hope. I was much more relaxed armed with Carrie this time. Hope impressed Carrie, as we started out. She got to show off for Carrie how well she is doing her waits, comes, this ways and over the ditch. Carrie says that Hope is one of the fastest learning dogs she has ever taught. She also says that mom is doing very good with her too. I feel very comfortable that I have this part down pretty good. Now onto other dogs. I am still nervous, but feeling better. We had a pretty intense dog walk through a part of my neighborhood where dogs aren't all fenced. Carrie was with us though, and we got through it. We got to meet some neighbor dogs, and some went better then others. If all the dogs were behind fences like they should be, it would have been much easier. I don't feel quite confident that Hope and I are ready to fly on our own with this one quite yet, but we will get there. The best part is that Carrie does not believe Hope is dog aggressive. She doesn't think that she wants to go pick a fight. However, she will not tolerate rude dogs that get right in her face. Carrie thinks that it is more of a socialization issue with Hope. I am so happy that I have Carrie on board with us! As you can see from the pictures, she does have manners, and has some social skills. With Carrie's help, I have faith that someday I won't have to worry as much.
  Hope was boarded at Wind River while I was in Florida last week. She also decided to do a little showing of down there, as she scaled a 5 foot fence while she was there. Mom's not thrilled with it, and thankfully it ended well. I'm glad that she showed off and nothing bad happened, only so we know better what we are dealing with. When Carrie was here for training, she finally got a chance to check out my electric fence. After the fence scaling incident, Carrie really wanted to make sure that my electric fence was right. It looked good, but unbeknownst to me...it was not running full power. Thank you for pushing the issue Carrie! My fence was fine, but if you  looked at the battery box close...it wasn't even grounded. Carrie told me to get a better tester, as in one that shows you how many volts it's putting out...and to test it every day. Now I can see that my visual check is not enough. Plus, when I got the right voltage checker, I discovered that even all hooked up right was not right. The battery was only putting out about 2000 volts, when it should be 5000. Back to Quality Supply I went, and got the box exchanged. So the electric fence is finally right, and I got the grass under the fence line under control. Now hopefully the 9 year old who is convinced it doesn't work, will still continue to leave it alone!


Hope soaking up the sun while Mom works on the electric fencing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment