Friday, June 10, 2011

Hope skips a class!

Yay for Hope! Hope is good, we all should have Hope, without Hope- there is darkness all around.

OK lets's see. We are behind a couple of days, so we better squeeze a mom update in here too. So I had my 15th dose of my current chemo on Wed- both Cispaltin and Gemzar. My Onc is still on vacation. I got excited for a minute, as substitute Onc read notes wrong and was scheduling me for a PET scan this coming week. I believe she scheduled it anyways, but had to come back to inform me notes said for the end of June. I'm looking at the calendar, sure more waiting but the end of the month is not that far. Highlight of chemo was realizing that I was 2 hours before I got hooked up. So I asked my nurse if she knew how to walk Hope pretty quickly, before she hooked me up. I told her what I knew about my friend walking her through the shortcut by radiation, instead of up the parking lot ramps. I could see the grass, just not sure how to get there. I thought it was just a courtyard! I picked her brain, and off I went. I was in my new usual parking spot in the Cancer Center parking in the garage. Into the elevator we went, and we got off on the radiation floor. My favorite receptionist saw me come in, and showed me the way...after greeting Hope, of course! She grabbed 2 magazines, for the 2 doors right around the corner. There we were on the backside of the hospital. Quick potty, and back in. Too cool, as long as we don't get in trouble. We can do this in 10 minutes. Soon enough, she won't be able to go wait for me during chemo, as it will be too warm. Now we know what the secret trick is, plus I can see her out the window if someone else takes her. So that's it, nothing exciting health wise. Feeling good, and not even very tired yet. Could have something to do with the sunshine?

We had another training session with Carrie yesterday. She met us near 13th and Shillinger again, to go visit the dogs. I think all we saw was the 5 bassets, and the lonely jack russell. In fact, we didn't make it very far down the street. Carrie said we just skipped a class, and we went back to the van for the 30 ft. lead!
A couple of posts ago I talked about walking Hope through there, and it was hard to treat her right...because she was doing so good with the dogs. Between what I told Carrie about that, and how Hope was acting...we just graduated. Good girl Hope, and good girl mom too!

So back off we went. I have discovered that I really not am as anal as some people would think. If so, there is no way in heck I could have let all that leash just drag around behind me! Letting it drag is just the easiest way, as long as you keep it away from cars. It's a bit tricky to get used to, but no big deal. We are now working off the 10' mark on the lead. We bumped it up a notch with our comes, which involves more waiting, and mom without treats in her hand initially. Took me a few to catch up with what Carrie was wanting us to do, but I think I got the jist. Hope is just so anxious for more treats, sometimes it seems hard to learn to do it the right way. Carrie doesn't seem to think so, she says we are right on track. With our "there's our friends", we have also bumped it up a notch with our "leave its" Now we do 1 "leave it", get past the dogs, and a second treat as a "good leave it". Now we are starting to work on not so much treating, as she isn't paying much mind to all the dogs in the hood.

So we parted ways for another week. Hope and I went off to The Trailhead to purchase 33' of climbing rope stuff. We were quite happy- $14.85 for material, $1.79 for clip....and mom gets to sew. An hour later, here is our new 30' lead!




Carrie will be so happy to hear that I made the lead that day, and today Hope and I got right back out there to make sure we remembered! I think we did alright. All the dogs on 13th were out barking. All the big treats were gone on the 1 block. It was like running the gauntlet, and I know Carrie would have been impressed! We even  stopped to talk to the basset hound guy for 10 minutes. They were barking their head's off, as bassets do, and Hope barely paid mind. She accepted a treat and pets from their owner. He loves that the dog trainers like his street to walk down. He understands what we are doing. He says some of his neighbors get cranky, but I have a sneaking suspicion if his bassets didn't bark...they might not mind so much. I think Hope did really good today on our walk. When we got home, I hate her wait for a very long time...ok a good 5 minutes. I was over by the porch at the end of the lead, and she waited in the truck.
Long enough for me to take a couple of picture and send them to Facebook. She stayed in the truck until I said OK!
I am so proud of my Hope, she is doing awesome. We hung out in the front yard for awhile. OK, me in the driveway, and Hope in the street. She was at the end of her lead, and I know she would have bolted if she wasn't on that lead. However, she did not pull and she kept coming back to check in and get a treat. I think she did awesome today!

No comments:

Post a Comment