Monday, February 7, 2011

Dried up mucus membranes

Oh yes, before I forget...my mucus membranes are messed up. They have been off for about a week, so after the first Docetaxol treatment. My nose feels some combination of- dry, stuffy, crusty, tight. Nothing to blow really, yet big chunks of dry boogies with blood mixed in. Ick, I know...be glad it's hopefully not your nose! At least it isn't bleeding, bleeding. I don't care for the digging around in my nose to get it out either. It's really annoying, and I'm sure eventually it will get raw and/or start bleeding.
 So I was wondering around lost in Safeway the other day, and I passed the pharmacy. There was no line, so I thought let's see what the pharmacist says. I asked her if she had something preferable to use, over hand lotion. She didn't appear to think that was the best solution! She came back with a tube of over the counter gel. A little.5 oz. tube called Ayr saline nasal gel, with aloe. It says, "Moisturizes & soothes dry, stuffy noses" Good for inside, and outside of nose- and it cost $4.50. Sounds worth a shot to me! She said she would have to order more now, and I think she had it behind the counter. All I know is, it was worth the money. I might not be impressed if it cost $30, as it isn't a miracle cure, but it does help.

So we are now into Monday night. It never did get very bad this time. It has been more of an emotional train wreck this time. I haven't been terribly flu like, just mild. I have been tired, but I can never tell how much is chemo and how much is stress. My nose is bothering me, my fingers are now tender/tight....and my throat feels mildly raw. I think that these are things that will probably stay with until done with this kind of chemo. Funny about the nose, but yet no sign of mouth sores? I would have guessed that they went hand in hand.

OK, Dear Ativan, please do a better job of keeping me asleep then you did the last 2 nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment