Monday, August 23, 2010

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 Oct. 12- 1st chemo treatment

The famous red cocktail
1st chemo treatment
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 Oct. 12- 1st chemo treatment


Well folks, 1 down and 7 to go! I got checked into the Montana Cancer Center at 10:45 am, and got done at 2:30 pm- my first treatment done. I had a teary moment when we walked in. I guess I thought I was going into an office first to talk to the doctor. I got to the desk and they told me to pick a chair, and that spooked me for a second. Poor LA, he doesn't like to see the tears. I settled down and explained why, and we were off and running. It was all good. First we got my port a cath all blown out, and drew some blood. Could barely feel the needle going into the port...why one anyone not choose to have one???? We then sat around waiting on the blood work to get looked at, (I think) and waited for Dr. Snyder to come check on me to see how I was doing. We didn't get the Nuprgen shot approved in time, so we will wait 3 weeks for round 2, and by then that should be approved and we can go every two weeks. He says my b-12 is not low, so not to worry about b-12 shots as suggested.

The chemo room was nice. We just sat down in the closest chairs, instead of looking around. I kept trying to hear what everyone else was talking about, and the older lady next to me didn't seem to mind that I was curiously watching what was going on with her. Her nurse was pretty funny with all her people. My nurse reminded me of Lizabetta with her accent. She said she was from New Zealand though, not Italy. The chemo room seemed like it got fairly busy in the time that I was there. I could see that they might not want too many visitors- taking up room and too much noise. I would imagine that people kind of group up in certain rooms where they can chat with regulars...kinda like a bar! There were ladies coming through with big boxes of candy- offering your choice and filling up candy jars within easy reach of the comfy chairs. They also had a fridge with plenty of juices, water coffee and tea on hand. I was tickled pink to find out that I could at least get up and move around in the facility with my IV rack.

Next my nurse got me started with a nausia IV drip for about 20 minutes. Probably just in case, as I only just received 2 scripts for nausia meds right then. Then we went onto Happy hour! I had a red drip, which was the adriamycin I think. This was about an half hour drip I think. So far so good, can't feel anything. I glanced through some magazines, as I had forgotten my new Diana Gabaldon at home. LA stayed with me the whole time, except when he went to get us lunch at the Big Sky Drive-in. Why do hospitals always make me hungry? Then onto the Cytoxan drip. This was about an hour long. My nurse will leave a note to slow down that drip next time, as it got to my sinus a bit. Annoying, but bearable. I was more worried that it would lead to a head ache if it went too long. It was gone within 10 minutes of being unplugged, so not too bad. So I did it, not too bad. I would expect to be in there an average of 3 hours probably, even though actual treatment is 2 hours.

LA and I then went grocery shopping at the new Safeway, and picked up my scripts. I only needed 4 things...but ya gotta love a NEW Safeway...sorry Linney...they got a way bigger cheese selection then Albertson's. I felt fine, just a little drained. I chalk that more up to the stress then anything. We got home and I walked over and visited Susan and Gloria with a treat and a glass off wine. I knew they would want to know how it went. 1 wine was enough...I don't know if it was nerves, nausia or just too much munching. I still ate a nice dinner that we prepared together, so I think it was more nerves. Had a nice quiet, lazy evening. I think LA felt worse then me, probably from worry. Over all, I felt pretty good last night. The nurse said that I probably would, and might have troubles sleeping, because of that initial nausia drip. I haven't taken any nausia meds yet. My nurse suggested taking the weaker of the 2 today, but I haven't yet. I want to know how it feels first, just so I know. I will try not to let it get too bad...but I still have to know how it feels. I wasn't expecting anything too bad for a couple of treatments, but the nurse led me to believe that I might feel stuff sooner. We shall see. OK, off and running...ton of stuff that I need to do today, but I'm sure I'll only get half done. I better get in the habit of saline mouthwashes today, to protect my mouth from sores. Onto my excercises today, and my first physical therapy tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment