Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thursday, April 17, 2008 Milestones

Thursday, April 17, 2008 Milestones


Current mood: accomplished

Category: Jobs, Work, Careers

Yea, I'm so excited! I've been working really hard over the past year to teach myself how to do our business' books, and learning how to manage the financial end. I never thought I would find myself having to manage a business, so I never paid attention in school to all the stuff teachers used to try and instill in me. Numbers are not my forte, except to tell you how much you owe me for that beer and a shot...and what I deserved for a tip :) When I married my husband in Dec. '07, I took over the book keeping. We bought a newer accounting system (Quickbooks Premeir Account's Edition 2007), and I have been steadily plugging away teaching myself how to input all the information that goes along with a business. I have had a bit of frustrations, and a big ass learning curve in trying to get our system in order. At the same time, I answer the phone, invoice, attempt to give price quotes, learn insurance requirements, sub-contract documents, run errands...and go out in the field and pack concrete for Bandido LA. It can get a bit hectic around here at the Dirty Corner Compund.



Our business, has made some major growth in the past year. My husband has found renewed pleasure with his business, and it shows in everything that we do- even though I might forget to tell him so at times. He is the hardest working man I know, and a very fair contractor. He will always give our clients 101% when he is on the job, plus they get the quality and experience earned from starting this company 17 years ago. I am so very proud of all that he does, and so very glad that he has been here to guide me through learning some new skills.



Sometimes we have to stop and take a moment to pat ourselves on the back. Today I got my accounting system checkbook to match my physical checkbook. It took a few minutes to sink in when I saw those numbers match...because I did it right, not because I "forced" them. Whee-ha, our new system is finally almost in order! I have a bit more tweaking to do still, but this is bigger stuff then I realised...and I had to take a second to pat myself on the back. That, and to thank my wonderful, patient? husband for not throttling me when I know I have been difficult AND for finding me my new CPA to help lighten my load.

No comments:

Post a Comment